Friday, August 6, 2021

Fellin (Viljandi) EST: Jaani Kirik

 


I have had a hard time getting my information about this card straight! Fellin is the German name of the town known in Estonian as Viljandi. Johannis Kirche in German becomes Jaani kiriku in Estonian. Once I had those details clear, I have been able to make some headway. Things were further complicated by the fact that neither the church's interior structure nor the organ are -now- as they appear on the postcard. The Jaani Kiriku is a very historic building. A church was likely on the site already in the 13th century. It was destroyed by war in the late 1500's. Rebuilding took place in the early 1600's. A rebuilt tower was added in 1815. The church was closed in the 1950's and used as a warehouse. It was re-opened as a concert hall in 1989 and as a church in 1991. This site gives a wee bit of information about the organ: "The organ of St. John's Church in Viljandi has an electropneumatic structure, 26 registers and 1 transmission register, 3 manuals and a pedal." No builder is named. Too, this information probably refers to the modern instrument shown in the image below, not the instrument shown on my card. My card is sepia-toned and is used.The stamp used is a common one (Scott 43) for the era. The card was sent from Poltsamaa according to the postmark. The image side of the card includes text, "Lichtbild von J. Riet, 1913." I have not yet been able to decipher the sending address nor the message. I know there is a fairly active organ culture in Estonia. I am hopeful someday to communicate with them and try to learn more about the organ shown on my postcard.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment