Friday, August 6, 2021

Atchison (KS), USA: St Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church

 


St Mark Lutheran Church in Atchison, Kansas was formed in 1868 with a small congregation. It never really got established and seemingly went defunct a few years later. It was reconstituted in the late 1800's. A new sanctuary was built 1908-1909. An organ was installed in at that time. No mention is made of the builder on the church's history page. The Pipe Organ Database suggests that it was George Kilgen, but there are no details. My card is in color, and is used with a common 1c Washington stamp paying postage from Atchison to Fort Scott. There is no identifying information on the back aside from a stylized "W" in a diamond-shaped enclosure as a logo. When I was on sabbatical in 2019 I went to Atchison to see if I could find out more about this church and instrument. I was not able to contact anyone by telephone beforehand, and the facility was closed when I was in town. I enjoyed my short visit to Atchison, but came away without the added information about this organ that I had hoped to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment